On October 17, 2018, cannabis will be legalized across Canada. Until that time, cannabis remains illegal in the Northwest Territories, except for cannabis that has been prescribed for medical purposes.

The Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories has enacted the Cannabis Legalization and Regulation Implementation Act, which provides authority to establish measures to control sale and distribution, minimum age for purchase and consumption, drug-impaired driving, workplace safety, public smoking of cannabis and more.