Gwich'in Tribal Council
For up to date contact information, please refer to the NWT Indigenous Government Directory
Established in 1992, the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is an Aboriginal organization that represents Gwich’in Participants in the Mackenzie-Delta of the Northwest Territories and across Canada.
The objectives of the GTC are to:
- protect and preserve the rights, interest and benefits of the Gwich’in in reference to their use, ownership and management of lands, waters, and resources in the Gwich’in Settlement Area;
- retain, preserve and enhance the traditional and cultural values, customs and language of the Gwich’in in a changing society;
- develop and promote economic, social, educational and cultural programs that will enable the Gwich’in to become self-sufficient and full participating members in a global society;
- uphold the rights, interest and benefits of the Gwich’in in reference to the Constitution Act, Treaty 11 and the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement; and
- receive, preserve and enhance the capital and the lands and other benefits transferred to the Gwich’in pursuant to the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement signed on April 22, 1992.
Click here for more information about current negotiations regarding the Gwich'in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement and the ongoing negotiation of the Gwich'in Self-Government Agreement.
- Fort McPherson