The Government of the Northwest Territories recognizes Indigenous Governments as governments that have negotiated, or are in the process of negotiating, self-government agreements with the GNWT and the Government of Canada.
These are Indigenous Governments that represent multiple communities. Seven regional governments have been established in the NWT to date:
- Akaitcho Territory Government
- Dehcho First Nations
- Gwich'in Tribal Council
- Inuvialuit Regional Corporation
- Northwest Territory Métis Nation
- Sahtu Secretariat Incorporated
- Tłįchǫ Government
Community Based Governments
Represent exclusive negotiations undertaken by individual communities that seek governing powers that are unique to the interests of their membership.
- Kátł’odeeche First Nation
- Salt River First Nation
- Acho Dene Koe First Nation and Fort Liard Métis Local #67
- Délı̨nę Got’ı̨nę Government
See the NWT Indigenous Government Directory for contact information.